Submitted by New Media Rights last modified Tue, 10/21/2014 - 4:14pm
New Media Rights Staff Attorney Teri Karobonik will be speaking on a panel at the Alliance for Community Media Western Region Conference on October 23, 2014 in Ventura, CA
The topic of the panel will be "Intellectual Property, Copyrights, and Fair Use in Media"
Technology has made it increasingly challenging to navigate the world of intellectual property, particularly in media and arts. This panel will address common questions journalists and creators face such as:
- What kind of rights do you need to secure?
- What is Fair Use and can anyone explain whether it applies?
- How do you navigate the legal issues inside of platforms like YouTube?
- Where can rights be obtain if needed?
- What are a producer’s liabilities?
- Can local bands play cover tunes?
- Can you fight a take-down notice?
- How much trouble can our organization be in?
The panel will be an opportunity to give positive support to journalists and artists, showing them the ways the law can actually empower their creativity, how to avoid legal disputes in the first place, and how to move forward if you do face legal threats.