Submitted by New Media Rights last modified Mon, 01/05/2015 - 1:38pm
Whether you’ve joined us as a Student or an Open Internet Defender we're stronger than ever thanks to support from individuals like you!
Please consider joining our community of supporters by making a donation and help us continue to fulfill our mission to:
- Provide free and dramatically reduced fee one-to-one legal services to underserved creators and innovators that need specialized help with Internet, intellectual property, media, and technology law
- Defend the Open Internet and push for badly needed copyright reform.
- Create high quality legal educational materials and to educate the next generation of lawyers.
With your support we’ve done this and more in 2014 by:
- Assisting on our thousandth legal matter.
- Bringing our legal knowledge to you at VidCon, SAM Fest, SXSW, the Copyright Society of the USA’s Annual Meeting and The Alliance for Community Media Western Region Conference.
- Releasing 4 new written guides:
- Guide to 3D printing and the law.
- Guide to Intellectual Property & Fiscal Sponsorship Agreements for scientific, research, and archival projects.
- Fine print to plain english: things to look out for as a Kindle Worlds author.
- Disastrous disclaimers in the digital era: a how to guide on correctly implementing disclaimers in the age of digital media.
- Joining amicus briefs in key cases and helping to ensure that the future copyright laws and policy are not designed to encourage wrongful DMCA takedowns or chip away at the critical DMCA safe harbors many small ISP's rely on.
- Fighting for Net Neturality at the FCC and the White House!
- Encouraging the FCC to take sensible measures to protect:
- consumer privacy
- the security of consumers’ mobile devices
- critical lifeline access on accessible devices
- access to broadband in US schools and libraries
- Launching the New Media Rights: Internet and Media Law Clinic with California Western School of Law to better train the next generation of lawyer to understand the needs of creators and entrepreneurs.
In 2015, with your support we plan to:
- Continuing to provide free and dramatically reduced fee one-to-one legal services to 400+ underserved creators and innovators.
- Release a ground-breaking new legal educational tool to help creators.
- Sponsoring and organizing more than 12 workshops and community events throughout the San Diego region and throughout the United States about digital rights.
- Working on policy initiatives to encourage the FCC to adopt real Net Neutrality measures.
Participating in the Copyright Offices 1201 hearings to make sure creators can access the materials they need to create and we can all make modifications to the technologies we own without risking criminal charges.