2010 is shaping into an excellent year of helping citizen media makers understand their rights online, as well as providing the equipment and tools needed to speak, create, and participate online. Our partnership with Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society and its Online Media Legal Network has expanded our ability to help various creators with legal assistance. If you are seeking legal assistance for a DMCA take down, copyright issues, filesharing questions or another internet and law-related problem make sure to fill out our online form or call us at (619) 591-8870
Remember, as always, we are here to help you with questions about your legal rights online and we offer free studio space, an editing computer and studio equipment, so call us today to utilize these services or just contact us and let us know how we can better serve you!
Check out our latest guides and opportunities:
- The field guide for Secret Audio and Video Recording will give you all the information you need to know about the law regarding secretly recording audio and video.
- Our latest Filmmaker's Resource Guide is full of videos about the technical, creative, and legal aspects of independent and documentary filmmaking.
How to get involved:
- New Media Rights is offering a paid Filmmaking Opportunity for a number of films we would like to produce this summer. If you are knowledgeable about using a camera and other equipment as well as editing software, and have an interest in making a difference in your community you might just be the person we are looking for!
Fill out the opportunity form HERE and we will be sure to contact you.
- Filmmakers, creators, and media activists can keep up with the latest new media events and competitions on our calendar like the Journalism Innovations III conference coming up Apr. 30-May 2. The event will again take place on the University of San Francisco campus.
- New Media Rights is looking for bloggers and other contributors to add to the website. Fill out our volunteer form if you're interested.
What we've been up to :
- The LA Media Reform Summit happened on March 27th. This event featured a panel which included Eric Yates from San Diego News Network, Miriam Raftery of East County Magazine, Sal from Liberty One Radio, Art Neill from New Media Rights, a representative from Activist San Diego and Mera Szendro Bok representing San Diego Media Reform on this panel.
- Art taught a session called "How the Law Empowers Citizen Media Creators: the Fair Use Doctrine and Creative Commons". Mera taught attendees how to communicate with their legislators about Net Neutrality.
Meet us in person !
- Art Neill, Executive Director of New Media Rights will be at the Media Arts Center of San Diego, May 6th speaking about citizen media online publishing.
- Art will be attending the Harvard Berkman Center's Online Media Legal Network's conference: Journalism's Digital Transition: Unique Legal Challenges and Opportunities on April 9th.
Thank you for your continued interest in New Media Rights . We would love to hear your feedback about the newsletters. Write to us at email@example.com or leave us a comment on our new newsletter page.
Please keep in mind that our work is supported from donations by individuals like you, so please consider donating to us. A gift of $25, or whatever you can give, will be a huge help.
Please connect with us on social media, including our Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube. We invite you to give @newmediarights a shoutout, or write a review on our wall of your experience with New Media Rights.