If you are curious to see what happens at the convergence between social networking, social influence and reputation, online engagement and gamification, I think it is about time you gave a good look, if you haven’t already done so, at Empire Avenue.
Photo credit: JGraphic, Empire Avenue, mashed by Robin Good
Empire Avenue is an online community game based on the idea of a stock market where you buy and sell shares in individuals and where their value is based on how active and effective they are in their use of social media.
In other words, this is the best free social media training playground camp on planet Earth. It is a social media real-time bio-feedback machine...
In fact, if you want someone to get a fast grip on how you use effectively social media, without being in an isolated vacuum, Empire Avenue is the perfect boost, motivator, monitoring dashboard and progress meter for any serious new buddying social media guru.
- It’s psychologically rewarding and very enjoyable to play
- It really boosts your awareness of your own social media performance
- It can help you boost your network and visibility
- If you are unfamiliar with it, it makes you learn how the stock market effortlessly
- It helps you learn new social media techniques from other players
- It’s addictive like a heavy drug,
- It takes time to understand how it works
- It has an overwhelming interface
- It may become boring and unsatisfying if you are just starting with social media and have little or no presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube
- If you like it too much it may start to cost you money too
But the most fascinating aspect of Empire Avenue, may be actually something that it is not there yet.
I myself have a hard time distilling in a few clear words what this is, but the overall feeling is that Empire Avenue is ushering us into a new, unexplored and fascinating dimension. But notwithstanding it, here, in this curated multi-part guide to EAv, you can find all that you will need to know, to get on board and start moving your first steps in the right direction.
P.S.: A really special thank you goes to Chris Pirillo - e(PIRILLO) on EAv, who has been the first to truly understand, appreciate, and then to embrace, support and evangelize Empire Avenue benefits and great potential.
The first time I got a message from him about EAv I was intrigued, but the game sounded too alien and foreign to my interests that I did not go out to try it. A month or two later I bumped into a new video from Chris explaining more and showing how EA really worked... and in a matter of minutes I was hooked myself.
In this two-parted curated guide to Empire Avenue you will find lots of content, including video clips, a Chrome extension and a wonderful investment guide all authored or inspired by Chris' passion for EAv.
And if there is something you can do, to reward Chris for his outstanding job, while making a hell of a great investment, is to buy some of his stock, as that will enrich both you and him at the same time.
Here is Part 1: all you should know, see or check, before diving into Empire Avenue.